Mumbai -I (The bad side of IIT Powai)

We reached Mumbai by 1.30pm. Their check-in had to start at 2. So all of us were waiting for them to start the check in counter on the 'IIT Powai Roads', which means, inside campus but on the road. We finally got accommodation at 5 in the evening but...
   Meanwhile:     I had informed a friend -Mihir who stays in Mumbai- that i was coming. He called up, "Hey where are you? Have you reached Mumbai?" By this time I was exhausted. "Yes,but they haven't provided accommodation yet. I'll give you a call when we get a room.", I said. It was 2.30 that time. At 3, our ACL (assistant contingent leader) came out shouting "Hey guys relax! Sit down on the road. We are not getting accommodation for atleast an hour from now! Their procedure is too slow." "Hey Neha, wait a minute!", I called out to her. Usually we call her 'Sardesai' but I was too tired that time to use that long name. "Is it ok if I go out of campus and come back in some time? Will you carry my luggage to the room when we get one?",[:-)] I was clearly asking for a favour!!! She looked at me and grinned."Yes, I think that is logical. Looking at the present scenario you won't be able to step out of campus if you wait until we get accommodation. Go ahead.",she said. I was spontaneous to say," Thanks Sardesai!"
              Mihir had promised to take me around Mumbai. I gave him a call and told him I was ready. He said he would be coming from Kanjurmarg side and I should wait on that gate. So I picked up my handbag (rather a leather purse which Mom had given me hardly offering any choice. I hate purses!!!) and started walking. I had no idea which gate was on Kanjurmarg side and decided I would take one of the buses that ply inside campus. Just then I saw a bus coming. I stopped and asked the driver," Bhaiyya, ye bus Kanjurmarg side vale gate tak jaegi?(Will this bus take me to Kanjurmarg gate?)" He looked at me for some time and then with a hopeless expression asked " Wo kaunsa vala gate hai? Lake side ya main gate?(Which one is that? Lake side or Main gate?)" I turned and was about to start walking again when one of the students sitting in the bus said,"Hey, this bus does not go that side. Ask for a bus going to lake-side gate on the other side of road!" "Thanks!" I shouted back with a smile. I went on the other side of the road and waited for about 10 min. But not a single bus turned up. Mihir was going to reach in 20 min. So then I started walking in the direction I thought was on the lake side. I hoped there would be maps inside IIT campus to guide visitors. Bad luck again! Fortunately I asked in a juice shop for directions and he told me the correct way. Soon I got a rickshaw on my way and he was ready to drop me on the gate.
            Finally I reached the gate. Within a minute I got a call from Mihir and he told me "Hi, I have come to the main gate not on the lake side. Can you come there?" Before he could finish saying this I was saying," Mihir, why did you ask me to come on this gate then? You come to this gate now." After a second thought I said,"Alright I'll come to the main gate." I started walking again towards the main gate when Mihir called again  saying,"Wait there I am coming." I was relieved! Within 2 min he was at the Kanjurmarg side gate and we were off on a Mumbai ride...



Comments

  1. Well there are 3 gates in IIT powai - market gate(also known as YP), main gate and lake side gate. market gate is nearer to kanjurmarg and guess wat Lake side gate is on the opposite side.. :-P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Alvida

When The Buddha Smiled on India...

A Brave Heart!